Scenarios under which Exchange mailboxes are moved across different domains – NEED:
- By using Exchange Task Wizard:
Step by step Procedure of using Exchange Task Wizard for moving the Exchange mailboxes (For Exchange 2003):
- On the computer desktop, Click Start, Select All Programs -> Microsoft Exchange -> System Manager
- Within the console tree, extend the list of the Servers and then select the server from where mailboxes are to be moved. Also extend Storage Group to select the one from which you need to move mailbox and there after extend the Mailbox Store. Now click Mailboxes.
- Move the cursor in the details pane and then right-click on the user/ users that you want and then click Exchange Tasks.
- The Exchange Task Wizard pops up
- Within the wizard, go to the Available Tasks page, select Move Mailbox and then hit Next
- Select a server in the Server list on the Move Mailbox page and a mailbox store from the Mailbox Store list. Then click Next
- Choose the appropriate option as per requirement under If corrupted messages are found and then proceed by clicking Next
- Now, choose the appropriate date and time for moving the exchange mailbox in the Begin processing tasks at list on the Task Schedule page. Proceed by clicking Next
- Click Finish to exit the Exchange Task Wizard
- By using Move-mailbox cmdlet:
The exchange mailboxes can be moved between servers of same organizations or servers of different organizations by using appropriate syntax in cmdlet.
- When the Exchange Task Wizard is left open on the screen, the Wizard waits for the scheduled date and Time to arrive if the user has provided the same for some later moment.
- The MAPI( every Exchange server has a MAPI server version installed) connection is opened for source as well as destination servers
- The PR_IN_TRANSIT flag is set within the mailbox before beginning the process of moving mailboxes so that no changes are made to the mailbox while the process is being carried out.
- The target mailbox is created and
the properties, folders, etc. related to it are set before
initiating the process of moving mailboxes.
- Once the entire mailbox is successfully moved at the target location, update the directory object.
- As soon as the data is successfully transferred, PR_IN_TRANSIT flag of the mailbox at the destination is updated to make sure that it is no longer set.